Fan

A while ago a neighbor complained that the fan in our bathroom was too loud, so the landlord put in a new, quieter fan. Unfortunately, it the new fan seems to get it's silence by not working. In other words, it doesn't suck.

When I asked about a new fan, I was told that a more powerful one would be $150, which was too expensive. I'm thinking that they could have just left the old one and it would have been free. It was noisy, but it worked. Instead I have one that still makes noise, but doesn't work.

Yesterday I did a test to see just how non-sucky the fan is. I ran the shower with hot water for 10 minutes, then closed the door and checked to see how long it would take the fan to air out the room. After 2 hours, the mirror was as defogged as the old fan had it immediately after a shower. After 3 hours and 45 minutes the mirror was defogged but the room was still very steamy. After 7 hours the room was still steamy and I gave up. I was checking every 10 to 15 minutes (using my eggtimer), and I suspect that all the defogging happened from opening the door to check on the steam, not because of the fan.

According to the California rental code, any room with a toilet or shower is required to be ventilated, and ours is not. This definitely leads to dangerous conditions, especially after I've eaten Mexican food.

So I might ask again for a new fan. They'll have to put one in for the next tenant anyway, because this one literally doesn't work. If they're going to put in a new one eventually, I might as well get the benefit of it too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home